Monday, December 12, 2011

O Holy Night Off - Round 2 Celine Dion vs. Glee Cast - Lea Michelle

O Holy Night Off - Round 2 Match P1 Celine Dion vs. P5 Glee Cast - Lea Michelle

Now that we are in round 2, we have to be a lot more critical of each cover and dig down deep to find which one is worthy of being in the elite 8, which is in itself an honor. First to Celine - There is a reason why she is a 1 seed. She sings the song with beauty and power. She has it keyed to her voice, which is the key of G, which uses her alto range and makes the high note a manageable D. (Just for reference, the oldest and most classical versions of OHN are in Db.) Now for the Glee version. Lea Michelle is much more of a power singer, using more straight tone, but she does something similar to Celine: she keys the song lower to have more of a power range. One difference though is that she keys it in A, which, if you have studied any music stuff, you would know is a brighter key than G. Her high note is a very reachable E. One huge downer, when I watched the Glee Christmas episode, they did not perform OHN. I was very curious about how they were going to work in the song, and come to find out, they didn't. May cost them a spot in the elite 8.

4 comments:

  1. There is a good reason that Celine was seeded #1. This is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a "Gleek" and I think Lea Michelle is very talented, but I simply love Celine's version of OHN. I love how she brings in "Noel" and that it is in a key low enough for me to sing along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to agree with you Jay. Celine's rendition is my choice. That woman can sing the phone book and make it sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celine's version is great but Lea Michelle's version is better to me and I would not have thought that until I compared both just now.

    Lea Michelle's version seems more like a celebration and you can feel the excitement and her ending left me with goosebumps.

    She may not move on over Celine, but her's is an awesome version.

    ReplyDelete