Sunday, December 5, 2010

O Holy Night Off - Round 1 - Jewel vs. Bing Crosby

O Holy Night Off - Round 1 - P7 Jewel vs. P3 Bing Crosby

When we say pop, we mean old school pop. Bing was popular before most of us was born, and still, by many people's accounting, has the most popular O Holy Night of all time. What can you say about Bing Crosby but simply "He is Bing Crosby." By the way, if you want to see a great Bing movie, rent "Holiday Inn," with music by Irving Berlin. Simply the best.
Jewel drew the short straw and had to go up against Bing the first round. Jewel's version has some great guitar picking patterns that are cool, and I generally like how she sings, with a folk/pop sound that is quite unique. Also cool is that she lives in Texas now, I think somewhere around Stephenville. However, I don't see her getting out of the first round. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. OK, this was way closer than I thought it would be. I was less impressed with Bing than I thought I would be and more impressed with the high notes that Jewel hit. She also had a broader range of emotion in her version.

    Since I really don't know anything about music, and I'm a Cowboys fan, I vote for Jewel because she is married to a rodeo cowboy. And she hurt herself trying to be on Dancing with the Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a tough one. I think I will give Jewel a slight edge. Jewel and Bing are(or were) very talented vocalists with very different styles.

    ReplyDelete