Monday, December 6, 2010

O Holy Night Off - Round 1 Faith Hill vs. Vince Gill

O Holy Night Off - Round 1 CC1 Faith Hill vs. CC8 Vince Gill
This round 1 match pits two heavyweights in the country music world, Faith Hill and Vince Gill. (I just realized that Hill and Gill rhyme.) First, Faith Hill's cover has a great arrangement, very understated, which allows for her vocals to be front and center. She has a very powerful and dynamic voice, which is why this is one of the favorites on iTunes and Amazon. Vince Gill's version has the great choir intro and ending and the traditional piano arpeggio pattern which I like a lot. But the song drags some and he only does one verse. Would loved to hear another verse, but then it would be 7 minutes long. Gill is the underdog in this one. Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I should not have read your comments before listening to both of the versions. Hill was great and I was not expecting Gill to be so hot. I was blown away by Gill's version, and I wanted another verse. Unfortunately, there was too much unGill stuff, so I say he must have stressed his vocal cords in the first verse and quit in despair. This one goes to Faith Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will begin by saying that I am a big Hill fan, and have been since the first note that I heard her sing. And that was before I saw a picture of her. I am voting based on the goose bump meter and Gill wins it by a hair. Mary agrees if she can vote by proxy.

    ReplyDelete