Monday, December 6, 2010

O Holy Night Off - Round 1 - George Beverly Shea vs. Johnny Mathis

O Holy Night Off - Round 1 - CC4 George Beverly Shea vs. CC5 Johnny Mathis

Here is one for all the old schoolers. George Beverly Shea hits some of the notes at around 60 Hz I think. May be the lowest sung OHN in the competition. My computer didn't register some of the notes because the speakers aren't designed for it, may have to hook up a bass amp to truly hear the song.
Johnny Mathis has one of the popular versions on iTunes and Amazon. The strings in the background of this version is cool, carrying the triplet feel throughout the song.
For those under 50, you might not know who I am talking about, but give a listen and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

  1. The "triplet feel" in the JM version was a distraction for me, almost as if something was amiss in the recording. Thanks for telling me what I don't like. GBS scared me a little at first, but as I listened, I read his biography. How could one not vote for a 101 year old, lifelong Methodist who lives down the road from Billy Graham's house? "Bev" in an upset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JM by a mile. Just my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete