Sunday, December 12, 2010

O Holy Night Off - Round 1 Harry Connick Jr. vs. Aaron Neville

O Holy Night Off - Round 1 RB3 Harry Connick, Jr. vs. RB6 Aaron Neville
To change it up, we will discuss Aaron Neville first. His voice is so unique that when he does covers of songs, it will always come out sounding like something new. I like the fact he did 2 verses, and that he kept it simple and let the voice come through. Harry Connick, Jr. is one of the most popular musicians in the world, and is one of the best jazz piano players around. However, instead of using his piano, he begins with an orchestral arrangement. Luckily for him it is one of the most amazing orchestral arrangements of the song that I have ever heard. Kudos on doing all three verses. The choir could have been louder on the second verse, but other than that, it is simply beautiful. However, for another album, I would love for him to do the song just him and piano. Tell me what you think.

2 comments:

  1. Having a tendency to lean toward the more traditional, my vote goes to Connnick. It is simply beautiful. Aaron Neville does have a very unique voice and he does keep it simple, and his voice really does come through, but not enough to get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither one of these will go far in the OHNO competition. AN's vibrato was distracting. HC's voice didn't seem very strong and the whole version sounded as if it was produced by a committee. This round was like ut vs. tamu. I hope they both lose. GO RAIDERS! Now where were we? Oh yeah, singing contest. I guess my uninspired vote goes to Harry.

    ReplyDelete